Thursday, September 11, 2008

United 93 (2006)

This review was originally composed on April 30, 2006.

I don't know how to begin... few movies haunt like this one.

Unlike what seems to be the majority of people, I've been waiting on a movie like this. I wanted/needed it. One, because although the events of September 11th affected me, there was still distance and I felt unnerved, but isolated (not that I'd ever wish something like that on my loved ones). And two, because we are, I am forgetting. We say we aren't, but I think we are.

Powerful. United 93 is unlike anything I've experienced. Literally breath-taking and gut-wrenching. While we will never truly know what occurred on board United 93, this movie reflects the true tenacity of the human spirit. These souls rise above the fear and danger surrounding them and make that brave attempt despite it's hopelessness. The essence of the American spirit. It's a fitting tribute to their memories.

Writer/director Paul Greengrass approaches the subject matter with overwhelming respect and keeps from over dramatizing or glamorizing the ordeal. There is no political message, no finger pointing, no 'yeah, America' patriotism, just regular people doing the extraordinary.

It begins simple enough, the viewer is dropped in on the soon-to-be infamous terrorists as they pray and prepare for their flight. Then, we check in on the pilots and flight crew as they go through, again, a normal day's routine as the passengers board. As the day continues, the viewer keeps moving between the mass confusion at various air traffic control centers, NORAD, the FAA and the United flight. (It makes it all the more real once you realize (stay for the credits!) that some military and government officials are playing themselves.

Seeing the passengers react is cathartic in some ways. There is no patriotic spiel, just reaction to the situation. They aren't 'wondering were their government is' or 'trying to stay calm' they are surviving.

United 93 is the ultimate emotional roller-coaster and you, the viewer, are engulfed in it. As the passengers are leaving messages for or talking to their loved ones or the would-be terrorists are unsure and committed their prayers to Allah, the human drama unfolds at it's best. As those fateful words are uttered 'Let's roll' it makes for an eerie moment. All of a sudden, I realized that I was watching something that REALLY HAPPENED.

It is a challenging film to watch. I was shaking and hyperventilating at its final moments. At its worst, I wanted to look away but wouldn't allow myself. At its best, it made me cry for these people who knew the worst was coming. United 93 made me sick. It made me cry. It made me angry and sad. Most importantly, it made me remember.

You can't imagine the silence found among the full audience at its conclusion. I don't think anyone moved until the lights came back on. Even then, we left in stunned silence.

It is a true personal choice to see this film. I would urge you to see it. United 93 is a respectful, dignified tribute to the legacy of it's victims and heroes.

Postscript 09/11/2008
I still remember coming out of the darkened theatre vividly and the way my body felt--hands aching, teeth clenched tight, the tension down my neck and spine. Years later, this film is emotionally-racking. United 93 continues to be one of the best dramatizations of the days events. Greengrass has done a remarkable job of memorializing a tragic event. It was powerful on the big screen. It still is today.

No comments: