Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Coachella: The Film (2006)

Coachella is a legendary music festival on the west coast. I queued this rock-doc thinking I'd see legendary and ground breaking acts. While I was aware that the festival leaned more toward the indie/unknown scene, I though it would be a good blend of everything. That's cool. This, however, is not.

Sitting there watching this seemingly random collection of concert footage, I couldn't help but think only those pseudo-intellectual types--you know that Donnie Darko-loving, angsty teen now mid-20s and still 'searching' for life's answers--must love this sh!t.

Don't get me started on The Flaming Lips. They simply annoy me and those fortuned enough to be in the inner circle. You really have to lean towards Arcade Fire, Fischerspooner and those damn lips to get anything from this documentary. Even acts like the White Stripes, RHCP and Radiohead were amiss.

From a documentary standpoint, the random editing detracts from the film. The festival footage is gleaned from past years, but still there is no point of reference for the viewer. Unless you are engaged by the band you're watching, it's simply boring.

Coachella: The Film falls in that acquired taste category. It's not mine and as I see it, unless you are that aforementioned demographic, don't bother.

No comments: