Monday, June 1, 2009

The Tonight Show with Conan O'Brien (2009)

It's the dawning of a new era and Conan O'Brien is in the front seat of his Ford Taurus leading the way. Long the staple of my insomniac diet, O'Brien is well known, not only for his hair, but his sketch comedy and superior monologues.

Debuting on The Tonight Show this evening, O'Brien looked a wee bit uncomfortable, but with encouragement from a rowdy crowd which made him blush--as well as a pale white boy can--O'Brien delivered a solid monologue. New announcer and long time pal, Andy Ritcher was nearby for support. Max Weinberg and the newly renamed 'Tonight Show Band'--complete with LaBamba, also helped O'Brien settle in among some very swanky digs.

His sole interview, Will Ferrell, was an understated exchange, but totally my kind of funny. Musical guest, Pearl Jam was top-notch (FYI: NOT a fan). Perhaps the funniest moment for me, was the taped segment with Conan leading the Universal Studios tram tour. Circle! Circle! Circle!

While Conan and Co didn't push the limits on the first night out, take comfort. This is just the beginning.

2 comments:

Matt said...

I like Conan. I really enjoyed his late late night stuff. However, since he's on at the same time as Letterman, I guess I will miss him. GO LETTERMAN!

Anonymous said...

Conan will crush Letterman...flat