Saturday, June 20, 2009

Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog (2008)

Aspiring super villain Dr. Horrible (Neil Patrick Harris) video blogs about his attempts to join the ELE (Evil League of Evil), woo his secret crush, Penny (Felicia Day) and defeating his archenemy Captain Hammer (Nathan Fillion). Trust me when I say... Don't believe I've had this much fun all year.

Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog comes from the mind of Joss Whedon and while I am familiar with his nerd king status, this is my true first exposure to it. {Already queued Buffy.} Conceived during the writer's strike and originally airing online, this musical comedy is equal parts hysterical and smart thanks to a brilliant cast and top-notch dialogue/song.

Neil Patrick Harris is pure genius. Harris is bitingly smart and horribly inadequate. Harris is adept in both his physical comedy and song. Combined with dialogue this awesome, Dr. Horrible is my new favorite. Felicia Day's Penny has a Pam {see The Office} vibe about her with sweet charm and cute hopefulness about her. Nathan Fillion is pitch-perfect as the overly cocky and good looking hero.

Captain Hammer successfully interferes with Dr. Horrible's attempts at winning Penny and taking over the world, but thanks to that Ph.D. in horribleness, Dr. Horrible is never at a loss for a plan!

Writer/director Whedon has created a quirky romantic musical that concludes in three phenomenal acts. Each titled act includes engaging musical numbers, witty and sometimes dark dialogue, and incredible comedy. It's tough to find this much awesome in one place!

The dialogue is infinitely quotable with lines like "Oh, look at my wrist, I have to go" and I don't have time for a grudge match with every poser in a parka!"

As I see it, Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog isn't for everyone--but it's certainly for me!

No comments: