Thursday, June 25, 2009

Hail the King of Pop

Disbelief, shock, and sadness has befallen us all as news of tortured genius {only in my opinion, mind you} Michael Jackson's passing has come forward. An innovator and ICON, Michael Jackson's influence in music history is undeniable.

My colleague, JoCo, told me--it was around 4p. I didn't believe it; he's a joker. I had heard earlier in the afternoon that he was rushed to the hospital, but dead?! Not MJ--not Michael. I hit the web immediately--screw renewals--and was stunned at the news. The tears welled... it wasn't until the drive home that the emotions took over. As I turned Alfred towards home, the familiar refrain of Billie Jean greeted me... I couldn't help it.

I join fellow Jackson fans--those who stood tall while Jackson's personal life disintegrated around him--in mourning the loss of a genius that shaped music as we know it.

Emotions are running deep. Words don't come. The sorrow--it's surreal. As detached as I am, this seems personal. Thanks Snoova.

One thing is certain... that choir is sounding awesome right about now.

Postscript 06.26.09 This exchange took place at the Firm:

Me: Wondering… if you feel/felt the same way I do… “as if a thousand voices cried out all at once” But if joy could come out of this… the radio is suddenly awesome. There’s a beat in my step as MJ’s voice rolls through my head. I’m sad, but joyous. Weird.

OM: I feel sad, but more for the fact that my generation can’t appreciate the artist that was Michael Jackson. I am of a generation that was only exposed to his music during mediocre talent shows and covers (Smooth Criminal anyone?). I grew up with a Michael Jackson that was a “child molesting monster”, the man who wore a mask everywhere and dangled babies over balconies. One of my earliest memories is him marrying Lisa Marie Presley. How sad is that? I should have been born in a different time…

1 comment:

Mister Crossfire said...

I grew up in the Age of Thriller -- it was the first album I ever owned and I was a Michael Jackson fanatic! I had a pair of sparkly socks and the lone white sparkly glove. And a poster or two.

Even though it seems he hasn't contributed anything significant to the pop world for years, his influence is in everything we hear on the radio these days. He truly was a genius and an icon.