Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Bonus Feature: CD

But February made me shiver, with every paper I'd deliver. Bad news on the doorstep; I couldn't take one more step. I can't remember if I cried, when I read about his widowed bride, but something touched me deep inside, the day the music died.


50 years ago today, Buddy Holly, the young promising Texan and leader of the melody makers known as the 'Chirping Crickets' died needlessly. A founding member of rock and roll and an inspiration to nearly everyone, Buddy Holly's legacy continues to influence and inspire.

The Chirping Crickets, the group's debut album was released in November 1957. Housed in twelve unassuming tracks, was a rare intensity and energy. Holly along with fellow Texans, Larry Welborn and Jerry Allison {SHOUT-OUT!} and Cal native Niki Sullivan brought a new and unbridled sound to vinyl.

That'll Be the Day skyrocketed the group to stardom It's here in all it's glorious simplicity with Holly's Fender Strat laying it down. {This would also be the first song The Beatles would record.} With a simple back beat and sweet harmony, That'll Be the Day is stunning.

Each of the songs consists of simple formula. It's Holly's vocals, those harmonies, that Strat... it's just incredible.
Now, decades later, it's amazing to me what an impact Holly and his raucous, simplistic styling had and continues to have. Listen to the original. You won't be sorry.

No comments: