Sunday, December 13, 2009

Star Wars in Concert (2009)

I’m afraid that I misspoke. I believe The Killers have been topped by the Royal Philharmonic Concert Orchestra and Anthony Daniels. Performing selections from John Williams’ iconic score, the Philharmonic was exquisite. But that was just the beginning...

Star Wars fans of all ages descended on the former Sommet Center, united in their love of a fictional universe. In the rotunda of the Center, untold movie memorabilia was displayed. Costumes, props, and other iconic pieces from the film series were within reach. It was truly breath-taking. You just wouldn’t understand.

Mingling with Stormtroopers and R2D2 was truly amazing. Boba Fett and Bossk mugging for the camera while Death Star troopers and pilots looked on. I felt a bit ridiculous acting as excited as the eight year old beside me. Unlike my companion, I was unable to temper my reserve. Fully embracing the fanboy within, I flitted from display to display, engaging fellow fanboys—smiling and oogling— just soaking it in.

Beckoned to our seats by the sounds of the Universe, I waited with bated breath. The little man beside me and I carried on until the voice of Darth Vader introduced ‘a part of the rebel alliance and traitor’ Sir Anthony Daniels. C3PO himself guided our journey through the Williams’ canon.

Divided into a series of acts, the score came alive at the hands of the orchestra. Exploring the universal themes found throughout the films, each note corresponded with an image on the huge LCD screen behind the orchestra. A few particular moments stand out:

  • Just back from Intermission, we journey to a most wretched hive of scum and villainy--Mos Eisley Cantina.  Listening to the jazzed refrains coming from Figian D'an and the Modal Nodes were rockin.
  • The rise and fall of Anakin Skywalker was a bittersweet mash-up.  It's no secret--my loathing of Lucas' prequel.  This act was heart-wrenching, but dispicable all the same
  • The twin suns of Tatooine.  Need I say more?
Overall, the concert was a treasure.  The memories made and shared today are priceless.  Wish you could have joined me.

2 comments:

Mr. C said...

So cool... wish I could have attended!

backrowecritic said...

It was epic! You'd have enjoyed it.