Monday, December 7, 2009

A Christmas Carol (1938)

This adaptation of the Dicken’s classic is an oldie but not too goodie. I don’t take issue with the artistic liberties of director Edwin Marin (The Invisible Man). Rather, I am disappointed by the lack of charm.

Reginald Owen (Mary Poppins) stars at Ebenezer. The poor man pales in comparison to Alistair Sims and George C. Scott. Gene Lockhart looks strangely familiar but I can’t place him. Overall, the cast is nice bunch of MGM stars.  Ann Rutherford is gorgeous as Ghost of Christmas Past.  Nephew Fred played by Barry Mackay is a real treat.

As I see it, you can’t go wrong with any adaptation of A Christmas Carol. I just prefer my gems to sparkle.  Interesting trivia: Lionel Barrymore was originally tapped to star in this version, but bowed out due to injury.

No comments: