Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Scrooge (1970)

Albert Finney (Big Fish, The Bourne Ultimatum) is Ebenezer Scrooge in this musical rendition of Charles Dickens’ perennial favorite. Thought I had seen every interpretation, but this musical was new to me. Scrooge isn’t cold, or witty, or hateful, but rather he looks to be sucking on sour marbles. The contorted, puckered face is off-putting.

The real treat is Sir Alec Guinness as Jacob Marley. The character has a stronger role here. In retrospect, one can see the influences of this film on the most recent release. I see Zemeckis’ version in a whole new light. The special effects found here are perfectly moribund. The ghosts of Past, Present, and Future Christmas are fascinating. But the film really lacks luster for me.

Let’s be honest. The musical number can’t win any awards. The warbling herein borders on torture. They all last a little too long. The Scrooge/Marley foray into hell is silly.

It’s funny how polarizing Dickens’ short story has become. Scrooge is the favorite of many a friend and colleague. I, however, am steadfast in my love of Alistair Sims. As I see it, there is a version for us all.  Which one do you prefer?  Do tell!

1 comment:

Mr. C said...

"SCROOGED" starring Bill Murray is the only version of the story I've seen... lol