Monday, March 9, 2009

Willie Wonka and the Chocolate Factory (1971)

My adoration for the odd story of chocolatier/candy man Willie Wonka (Gene Wilder) and five naughty, nasty kids is no secret. Tonight, I caught my favorite version on Telemundo. Si. Telemundo.

Even dubbed in Spanish, Willie Wonka and the Chocolate Factory is a treat. It holds up surprisingly well in translation. The one disappointment? Musical number are conveniently edited during commercial breaks. I was really looking forward to Grandpa Joe (Jack Albertson) singing, too.

Knowing the film as I do, there was no language barrier, it was just strange to hear those words coming from these beloved characters.

As I see it, there's no good reason to see the film in Spanish. But fans of classic will delight no matter the language.

No comments: