Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Singles (1992)

Let me just say this: I don't get this movie. The film synopsis says this: "Generation X neighbors share their bittersweet, intertwined stories of the single life in director Cameron Crowe's quirky, witty comedy set against the backdrop of Seattle's grunge music scene." To which I would reply: LIAR! I queued Singles solely because of Crowe's Almost Famous and Elizabethtown.

The film centers about a group of twenty-somethings (Matt Dillon, Kyra Sedgwick, Campbell Scott, among others) who lead inane lives, hooking-up and breaking-up to cuts from Pearl Jam and Soundgarden. Kill me now.

Music plays such an integral part of Crowe's films and rightly so, but this film didn't survive 30 minutes. I tried and failed miserably. In all fairness, I'm not this film's demographic. But I have a strange feeling that this might be the Gen-Xer's Breakfast Club.

No comments: