Saturday, March 7, 2009

Sleepwalking (2008)

Joleen (Charlize Theron) is a messed up mother to 11 year old daughter, Tara (AnnaSophia Robb). She ditches the kid with her brother James (Nick Stahl) who's trying to get his life together. James is unprepared for the new role. Tara is a child trying to cope with the abandonment of her mother. With the threat of child services at the door, the pair hit the road, and I think, probably discover what 'family is all about'--I don't know as I could not stomach more than 30 minutes of this self-important messterpiece.

Directed by Bill Maher, written by Zac Stanford (readers of my early reviews will remember The Chumscrubber, same guy), Sleepwalking is a mess. The parallels to Chumscrubber are obvious, but this movie falls flat. Casting seems to be a huge issue here. Robb was great in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and a wonderful surprise in Bridge to Terebithia. This role seems beyond her emotional scope. Theron seems genuinely disinterested in the role. Stahl... well, I gave up. Woody Harrelson and Dennis Hopper cameo.

I enjoy bleak and morose human drama more than the next person. Depressing, despairing, melancholy--I'm in. This was simply ugly. Sleepwalking is a disappointing waste of time.

No comments: