Friday, August 8, 2008

The Who: The Kids Are Alright (1979)

In all fairness, I'm the last one who should writing a review on this rock doc. Not being a fan of The Who--what possessed me to rent this?! Based on my previous selections {Dylan and Stones docs} Netflix recommended it.

The Kids Are Alright is less documentary and more concert footage--which is cool. It doesn't take a fan to appreciate the contributions that Roger, John, Keith and Pete have made to rock and roll. Still when I see them I think the Sex Pistols. HORRIBLE analogy, I know, but The Who ARE loud, sloppy, and obnoxious.

Concert footage seems to span decades and just underscore my last comment The group is sloppy. Their sets are chaotic at best. Keith is on one level, raging Pete Townsend on another. Entwistle is probably the most appreciated bass player ever and Roger... he just looks uncomfortable.

The Kids Are Alright surely is a must-see for Who fans because is marks a moment of rock history capturing Keith Moon's last performance before his untimely death. The songs are classic, but sadly, their greatness is lost on me.

No comments: