Saturday, August 16, 2008

Titans Win!

In the ten years the Titans have been a part of Tennessee, I've yet to see a game. Until tonight. Excuse me for being a wee bit giddy, but you haven't experienced a game until you see it like this.

2008 Preseason Game 2 against the Oakland Raiders--from the skybox, no less. Can you imagine? I don't have to; I've been there.

Arriving shortly before kick-off allowed me to take in the world of NFL sports. The walk across the pedestrian bridge--I've done numerous times--with hundreds of Titans fans in tow. The short walk across the west concourse to the elevators. The air was electric. The elevator up was quiet. Another short walk followed.

Stepping into the box was like entering another world. Taking in my surroundings, I was overwhelmed. There was so much to see. The view of LP Field was break-taking even with grass as dry and the field lines pale. Playing it cool, professional, I nodded greeting to my associates, grabbed a drink and mingled.

As kick-off approached, I settled in. The coin toss. Raiders lose. Tennessee receives and runs back for 22 yards. So it begins.

The first and second quarters were tame. Six plays, I think. Numerous incompletes, but Oakland gets on the board in the first quarter. Tennessee answers in the second.

Back to the box, food and alcohol continue to flow. It's rather low-key. Some of us have turned to watch Michael Phelps continue his dominance in Beijing.

There is so much to see from up here. My eyes leave to came to watch Fisher and the bench. The kickers are working it out, lineman are on ellipticals, a couple more are joshing. The dynamics are interesting. Turn to the Refs and you see a further dynamic.

Entranced by the rhythm of the field, it's difficult not to get caught up in the pulse. I don't follow professional sports, per se. I even half-heartedly play in the fantasy leagues. I just don't find it interesting. This, however, has my undivided attention.

The company inside the box was lacking, unfortunately. I haven't meshed with my fellow associates yet. Sometimes, I think, I don't care to. A few begin to bail early in the third quarter. Their loss.

The games comes down to the last two minutes. The Titans push down the field. Martin's pass deep left is incomplete. Short right, incomplete. With 1:15 left on the clock, Martin is sacked. Timeout. One last push to the goal gives Tennessee 26 yards. With :02 left on the clock, Vaughn steps out for a 33 yard field goal. It's good.

The remaining crowd erupts. Cue fireworks.

A few pictures are snapped before leaving. It's like there is an need to validate our time there. It was an awesome experience. Some lessons learned:


  1. The Titans have a potent running game.
  2. It's infinately more fun to watch people drink.
  3. Chicken tenders give grown-ups a reason to act like kids.

Preseason Game 2 against the Oakland Raiders. Yeah, it was wicked cool.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Trust me, if you think seeing an NFL game at LP Field was amazing, trying seeing the Vols at Neyland Stadium. I know people that HATE the Vols but have attended a game there and had it completely change their life and perspective on Tennessee football.