Tuesday, February 5, 2008

War of the Worlds (2005)

I found myself riveted to the screen as the probing metal tendril explored the cellar. Ray (Tom Cruise), Rachel (Dakota Fanning) and Harvil (Tim Robbins) are paralyzed with fear. You can read it on their faces.

This wouldn't be the first time I've redacted a review. Upon my initial viewing of this remake of the treasured H.G. Wells book, I was disappointed. Whenever you get hype involved I think disappointment is inevitable. My original review accused the Spielberg led film of having a "total lack of developed plot." Allow me to revise that statement. War of the Worlds has plot holes the size of crators. Regardless there is something worth seeing here.

Unlike so many of the us versus them movies, War of the Worlds has the humans losing. The fear and fight for survival is palpable-- that's what's riveting. Spielberg's choice to focus on Ray and his children, Rachel and Robbie (Justin Chatwin) creates a different take on the oft-tapped apocalyptic genre. Amid spectacular explosions and general pandimonium he examines some difficult questions. What lengths would you go to in order to save your loved one? What causes some to fold and others to fight?in order to save our loved ones?

War of the Worlds is classic summer blockbuster material that aims to be so much more. I don't think the movie quite makes it to 'much more', Spielberg should be commended for a valiant effort that appeals to the movie-going masses.

No comments: