Saturday, December 27, 2014

Book Fifty: Shakespeare Insult Generator

For self-professed wordsmiths such as myself, the Shakespeare Insult Generator by Barry Kraft is a fun, raunchy and entertaining good read.  As the introduction proclaims "The usage of the F-word; however, is more akin to the pre-linguistic banality of dogs barking at one another than it is to any inventiveness of human wordsmithery."  In a day and age when 'overshare' can join the dictionary but 'dullard' is unheard of, the Shakespeare Insult Generator is welcomed.

Of further interest is the 22% of the word herein were unknown before Shakespeare used them in print.  While I jest to think that I could single-handedly bring back 'motley-minded pig-nut', I am pleased to think I shall enjoy calling someone 'lubberly rampallian.'  (Spell-check is very unhappy with me right now.)

As I see it, the Shakespeare Insult Generator is both obscene and educational.  These aren't your everyday insults and as such, articulation and enunciation are a must.  Highly enjoyable read, indeed.

No comments: