Saturday, July 25, 2009

Stripes (1981)

The viewing of this movie began as a homework assignment. My task: view and reimagine a key scene for a Firm skit in the fourth quarter. After sitting through this nonsense, all I could think was 'this isn't funny.'

Stripes is a Bill Murray vehicle of the early 80s. *yawn* It's an excuse for him to act half-heartedly as a loser. As John Winger, Murray plays a man who joins the Army as a last ditch attempt to validate his existence after losing his job, girlfriend, houseplants, etc. Winger, along with best friend Russell Zitsky (Harold Ramis) and an assortment of other losers (John Candy, Conrad Dunn, Judge Reinhold, among others) whose spirits are willing, but bodies are not, wreak havoc during basic training. Much to the chargrin of Sgt. Hulka (Warren Oates) and Capt. Stillman (John Laroquette), the regiment of misfits actually get it together.

Directed by Ivan Reitman (my first clue), Stripes is obviously dated. The film has moments of comedic zingers, but overall the film itself is undisciplined. I cannot attest to the film's 'classic' status as Stripes' charms fall flat.

As I see it, I prefer my Bill Murray matured and dramatic {see Broken Flowers or Wes Anderson films}. It's the slovenly nature and ridiculousness that ultimately irritates me. Call me a snob, but this film lacks any true value. Alas, I am not rid of this film as I must concern myself with one key scene: the ceremony parade.

Postscript 07.29.09 ~ Found the value... my age works against me here. But apparently Stripes tapped into pop culture at one time. As anyone of middle age about Stripes and the reactions are classic. Guess you just had to be there.

No comments: