Thursday, May 21, 2009

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas (1998)

Journalist Raoul Duke (Johnny Depp) and his lawyer, Dr. Gonzo (Benicio Del Toro) go on a three day road trip from L.A. to Las Vegas in a drug-addled stupor. Sounds fun, right?!

WRONG!! Terry Gilliam directs this weirdly random comedy that centers around Duke and Gonzo tripping on a seemingly endless supply of drugs from acid to ether. As of fan of Gilliam's odd brand of humor and Johnny Depp's filmography, I expected to enjoy this unusual combination.

WRONG!! Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas is self-indulgent nonsense that wasted, fortunately, only twenty minutes of my time. If there was something to 'get', I didn't 'get' it. I suspect there wasn't and Depp's performance wasn't brilliant enough to make me care. Sorry, Johnny.

Gilliam's trademark visuals are there, but alas, the film isn't even fascinating like a train wreck. I could look away and I did.

As I see it, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas is the ultimate WTF. Uninspired and unpleasant, you'd have to be drugged out of your mind to enjoy this messterpiece.

No comments: