Thursday, October 30, 2008

31 Days of Horror: The Omen (1976)

The tricycle, strains of 'Ave Satani', the name, that kid. To this day, I don't understand how anyone could name their kid Damien--I know of two as I blog. Sorry kids, all I can think of is this eerie film from Richard Donner.

This literal spawn of Satan played by Harvey Stephens is one creepy bastard. The Omen is beautifully atmospheric. I love how this film unfolds. It's the perfect storm of direction, writing, cinematography, setting, and score.

Gregory Peck is exceptional to watch as the father of said spawn, he is terse, unapologetic until the truth is exposed. The escalating horror is written all over his face. But let's talk about the gem of a boy Stephens--where is he now?! As the little Anti-Christ, his glance sends chills up my spine. He plays so innocent, but speaks volumes with slight action. It's remarkable. Lee Remick plays the tragically duped wife nicely.

Between the nanny and that damn tricycle, The Omen is more than enough to scare me. Donner keeps the film tight and moody. The Gothic feel is cold and bespeaks the underlying evil. I've read "extreme dread" as a description for this film--that is so true. Yeah, don't forget the priest's demise. The score by Jerry Goldsmith seals the deal.

As I see it, The Omen ranks alongside Rosemary's Baby as benchmarks for the creepy genre. I love never seeing anything tangible--that's when the ultimate fear takes over.

No comments: