Saturday, July 26, 2008

The end continues

Bob went to the vet again today. I came home last night to find the side of his face swollen; his hair was completely missing from the right side of his face.

He came home from the vet today with a drainage tube sutured into place. According to the vet, he has an abscess from a wound on his face. That's odd because Bob is strictly indoors. I can't imagine what occurred in my absence that would have caused such a nasty wound. One moment it was there. God, I feel like a bad parent.

Since being treated his eyes are clearer and dare I say it, there is a spring to his step. He looks terrible. The whole ordeal has sucked the life right out of me. His looks mangy, but damn it, I love him. He's all I've got left.

Not to be too graphic, but this drainage tube is something else. It allows the abscess to drain and his long, once pure white, fur is an odd color of pink. Thankfully, he allows me to wash his face with a warm clothe. He knows we're in this together.

His routine is different now. He eats only soft foods--he really likes tuna. He loves his ice water still. He has even resigned to having pills jammed down his throat and that being chased with a concoction of oral meds.

Damn it, Bob! Don't die on me.

No comments: