Sunday, July 27, 2008

El Laberinto del Fauno (2006)

I really missed the mark with my original review.

I saw Pan's Labyrinth three times in the theatre that year. Each time I gained further appreciation for the dark fantasy by Guillermo del Toro. Still don't consider myself a fan, although he may finally garner my devotion if The Hobbit is realized.

Pan's Labyrinth is the story of Ofelia, a bookish young girl, caught in the mountains of 1940s Fascist Spain. Her pregnant mother is expecting the child of the sadistic Captain Vidal. Ofelia's escapism into the land of fairies and fauns crosses paths with her reality to create a hauntingly beautiful story.

The film is visually arresting. Del Torro blends his CGI seamlessly. The cinematography is wonderfully crafted to parallel the contrasting worlds unconsciously. Adding yet another level of intricacy are the chilling melodies of the score.

The foreign cast is remarkable. The young Ivana Banquero is amazing. Sergi Lopez is diabolical. In contrast, Del Toro's fantasy characters are equally riveting and revolting.

Mesmerizing and grueling, Pan's Labyrinth isn't easily forgotten or explained.

No comments: