Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Nell (1994)

How have I not seen this movie before 2015?!  Oh wait... I remember... because I made fun of Jodie Foster's character and her 'language'.  Fast forward to today and I look back upon my youth...

Nell has certainly aged; but the performances from Jodie Foster, Liam Neeson, and Natasha Richardson are beautiful.  As Nell, the surviving twin born as the result of a rape, Jodie is incredible.  This powerful performance a 'wild child' is unforgettable.  As a young woman, born about the trees in North Carolina who has lived in isolation from the world and learned only the doctrine of her stroke-felled mother.

Neeson as the young 'heart of gold' doctor and Richardson as the mature (read evil) shrink battle it out, in stereotypical roles, for Nell's soul.  The due create a a chemistry that is believeable despite it's predictability.

As I see it, the message of Nell is timeless.  We are all 'hungry for silence'.  The film, amidst the mom jeans, inexplicable court-room speech, and distractingly bad hair, will resonate with the heart.

No comments: