Monday, November 10, 2014

Book Forty-Three: Gone Girl

I hesitate to share one iota of plot to prevent ruining the bestseller from author Gillian Flynn.  On the other hand, I want to spare you the time investment.  There isn't a likeable character in the book and for those of above average intelligence, you can see the climax coming.  I don't write this sound arrogant.  I write this to say... how did this book become a New York Times bestseller?!  Is this really the best you've got?

No apologies for this unfavorable opinion.  Flynn uses most of the reader's time to develop a dialogue between Nick Dunne and his wife, Amy.  On their 5th anniversary, Nick comes home to find Amy missing.  A contrived cat and mouse hunt ensues.  Flynn's attempt at weaving a suspenseful thriller are poorly executed.  The book is lackluster with flat, stereo-typical character development.  Nick's relationship with his sister feels almost incestuous.  While I understand what the author is driving at, poor Nick is the result of unfortunate circumstances as is Amy... but does she really have to pander to the lowest common denominator?!

As I see it, I'm disappointed.  Perhaps the hype over-sold it.  Perhaps it will make a better movie.  Perhaps I don't care.  Don't say I didn't warn you.

No comments: