Sunday, October 5, 2014

Book Thirty-Six: Ever After High: The Storybook of Legends

At the risk of sounding like 'whipper-snapper' is part of my vocabulary, I loathe books like these.  Ever After High is where the offspring of our fairy tale princes and princesses go to learn the skills they will need to carry on the fairy tale.  As in the halls of Ever After High, the pages of this book is filled with the insipid dialogue of Apple White, Raven Queen, Madeline Hatter, Briar Beauty and Sparrow Hood.  Oh wait... it get's worse.  They listen to Taylor Quick and One Reflection on their MirrorPods.  Their school schedule involves classes like Muse-ic, Poison Fruit Theory, Home Evil-nomics and spend time in the Charmitorium.  Anyone vomiting yet? 

If you manage to get past the stupidity mentioned in the last paragraph, you will find a story inside.  Raven Queen--heir of the Evil Queen and destined to become the evil to Apple White's purity--doesn't want to be 'evil'.  She doesn't want to follow in her mother's footsteps and is trying to escape her destiny.  Apple White is concerned that her Happily Ever After is in danger if Raven Queen doesn't commit to their shared fairy tale.  Hilarity, ensues!  Or not.

I think I 'get' what best-selling author, Shannon Hale is trying to do.  I'm positive that I don't agree with it.  Books of this nature aren't empowering to young girls.  I feel it panders to them.  Fairy tales are just that.  Fanciful stories that both entertain and enlighten.  This sopping, blended mess is too bland in its touting 'follow your destiny' propaganda.  It's poorly written and gives the impression that Hale can't come up with anything original.  Maybe she's just trying to help Mattel sell dolls.

I'm taking this book entirely too serious.  And as I see it, any book recommendation from my Sweet Niece is a book to be read.  It breaks my heart that she didn't enjoy 'Ramona Quimby, Age 8'.  However, I will always try to encourage an independent, free-thinking spirit.  She enjoys these little hardbacks alongside a myriad of other books and I won't judge.  Perhaps Ever After High is an entertaining fluff piece that cleans the reader's palate between heavier tomes?

No comments: