Thursday, January 16, 2014

Book Three: How to Train Your Dragon

"Hey, kuku.  Read this."

"...Hiccup Horrendous Haddock the Third, the Hope and Heir to the Tribe of Hairy Hooligans, wiped his nose miserable on his sleeve.  He sank a little deeper into the snow..."

That is how I came to my most recent book.  There is something special about a book recommendation from a child.  I can remember discovering Harry Potter thanks to my co-worker's young son.  I discovered Skippy Jon Jones thanks to Evy.  My sweet Mia has recommended several titles to me now (Amber Brown is Green With Envy, The Warrior series) to which I never hesitate to read.  Her most recent recommendation is book three in my 52 reads in 52 weeks.

How to Train Your Dragon by Cressida Cowell is book one of a children's series that chronicles a young Viking Hiccup Horrendous Haddock III and his quest to train his dragon.  In order to join his tribe, Hiccup must pass the Dragon Initiation Program along with nine other boys.  What proceeds is a thrilling adventure that includes a dangerous foray into the Dragon Nursery and withstanding the jeers of other boys names as eloquently as Hiccup..  Interspersed among the chapters are great little pencil drawings of Hiccup and his fellow Vikings

The author has created a lovely world of fantasy for young readers.  Kid pleasing characters, goofy drawings and short chapters are perfect imagination drivers.  Amid all the nonsense, Cowell has created Hiccup, a boy with the heart of nobility and individuality that leaves you wanting to read more. 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I didn't know the movies were based on books. How wonderful! I can't wait to share this with my children.