Thursday, August 13, 2009

Eyes Wide Shut (1999)

Stanley Kubrick's final film is one of two things: a debauched sexual thriller that examines the human psyche or a steamy turd. Eyes Wide Shut stars Tom Cruise and Nicole Kidman in what would become their final performance as a couple. Interesting, no? No... it's not.

As I see it, melodramatic performances from our leading couple overshadow a beautifully rendered film. The Cruise/Kidman combo is laughable at best. Where is the tension and desire required?! The casting is ineffectual.

Kubrick is commanding behind the camera. The cinematography--the lavishness of the production is simple gorgeous, but that doesn't make it worth watching.

Eyes Wide Shut--honestly, that's what I wish I'd done..

Postscript 08.16.09 ~ I didn't exactly revisit the whole thing. I did reexamine the final scenes. I get, now, what Kubrick was aiming for. While I don't think he was successful due to poor casting, it's sufficient. Unless you're a fan of his, I wouldn't bother.

No comments: