Sunday, December 21, 2008

The X-Files: I Want To Believe (2008)

As a fan of the long-lived series, I couldn't wait to get my hands on the new movie from Chris Carter. Years after the series had ended, longer still since David Duchovny left, I was eager to see two things: How would the film stand up and how awesome could it be?

X: I Want to Believe is pitch-perfect. The film plays just like a classic episode of the series and fits beautifully. It works as a solid sci-fi movie for casual fans and as a big screen addition to the cult favorite. That said, X: I Want to Believe doesn't have the spectacular special effects, groundbreaking discoveries, or much that furthers any of the story lines from the series or the 1998 film other than 'will Scully and Mulder ever get together?!'.

Duchovny and Gillian Anderson have exceptional chemistry onscreen years later. They are a perfect partnership and this movie makes me miss them something awful. As Mulder, Duchovny uses his deadpan humor and boyish optimism we remember as foil to Scully's scientific matter-of-factness. Supporting cast members include Billy Connelly, Amanda Peet, and Mitch Pileggi. Unfortunately, Director Skinner takes a complete back seat to everything else.

Chris Carter's all too heavy hand is present so it all feels good--familiar. Well told, nicely executed, the film is solid thriller. Still, the X-Phile in me wanted more. More alien abductions, conspiracies, crop circles, and Donnie Faster.

The X-Files: I Want to Believe is a must see for fans of the best sci-fi series ever. It's not everything we've been waiting for, but it'll do.

No comments: