Monday, November 10, 2008

Autumn Sabbatical Ramblings

I don't like to use the term 'vacation'. To me, it implies the beach or at least going out of town. Yeah, I'm not likely to do either of those. Instead, I choose sabbatical--a period of rest.

My soundtrack selection for tonight's post, RHCP '06 release Stadium Arcadium. It's all good and I don't just mean Dani California {which I kill as Toasty Frijoles}.

The first day of rest was just that. The antibiotics, besides causing loose stools {wait, is that a TMI?} has caused an overall feeling of lethargy. I stayed in most of the day. Enjoyed a movie, painted Rimmel's 'Manic' on my fingernails, went Krogering, and spent some time with my little brother at Burger King. {For the record there's not a f'ing Starbucks here and it was his pick.}

Bet we were a sight. He in his post-welding day uniform of wrinkle utility khaki pants, an orange hoodie {that I suspect was really orange at one time}, and a mucky white tee--all with the trademark flash burn singes. And me?! Yeah, is my weak-eyed, rasping phone-sex voice bringing pale back ensemble. It was wonderful to talk to him over sips of Sprite {for me} and Diet Coke {him}.

I was up to 2.30 this morning reading Forever Odd by Dean Koontz. Wow. The first book was sweet and innocent; the second takes on a completely different, diabolical tone. Odd Thomas is losing his innocence. It's funny. I can count on one hand the literary characters that have had true impact on my life. {I shan't reveal them; to do so, would feel like exposing the most private of my thoughts.} Odd Thomas, however, is becoming one. Koontz writes so thoughtfully. To make parallels to a fictional character {especially this one} is ludicrous; but I can't help it. That it what makes it riveting. {God, that sounds melodramatic.}

Tuesday, my plans for the week begin in earnest. They are simple, just to explore and enjoy the moments. There is such intensity in my spirit that true relaxation doesn't come easy. Perhaps it's a restlessness. Loneliness? Sadness?

If you see a stranger with 'manic' on her hands and intensity in her eyes, say 'hello', would you?

No comments: