Tuesday, January 1, 2008

The Royal Tenenbaums (2001)

I rang in my new year with an old{er} film and my favourite family, the Tenenbaums-- the grandest of dysfunctional families. My friend Matt is responsible for my finding this gem. Wes Anderson directs a broad cast of old pros (like Gene Hackman and Angelica Houston) and newcomers (at the time, Luke and Owen Wilson, Gwyneth Paltrow).

I would only repeat myself singing the film's praises; so check out my original review here.

The Tenebaum family story is indeed a 'crazy quilt woven from the past and present family relationships, conflicts, and misadventures.'

Impeccable storytelling makes for a great film. Wes Anderson and Owen Wilson have meticulously crafted weird, complex characters that you can't help caring for no matter how mind-boggling and strange they are. Margot (Gwyneth Paltrow) just kills me with that dead-pan dark-eyed empty stare. The tortured playwright with the wooden finger {how she got it is even funnier}. No one's seem to notice Margot has smoked since she was 12, but everyone knows she is adopted.

This film isn't for everyone. The humor is quick and VERY dry. Between the slapstick and the visual humor, the snappy dialogue, and overall wonderfulness-- your senses are overwhelmed.

No comments: