Friday, January 4, 2008

2007: In review

To close out 2007 and my year in film, here's a look back on some of my favourites. Others not so much. You'll find musicals topping my list. Johnny Depp, too.
My Top Ten

  1. Across the Universe - A fictional love story set in during the tumultuous 1960s. This original musical from director Julie Taymor re-imagines the music of the Beatles. Newcomer Jim Sturgess and the stunning Evan Rachel Wood star (and sing).
  2. Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street - Johnny Depp and Helena Bonham Carter under the direction of Tim Burton. Do you really need more? This adaption of the Broadway musical stars Depp as the demented butchering barber.
  3. Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End - Grandiose and bloated the final installment of Capt. Jack Sparrow's adventure was everything I wanted. Epic battles, swashbuckling swords, incredible CGI and a monkey.
  4. The Bourne Ultimatum- The final adaption of Robert Ludlum's spy series. Matt Damon, you are the most under-appreciated action hero EVER!! Paul Greengrass, thank you, for bring real gritty action to the screen. Matt, I appreciate you channeling it so well.
  5. 28 Weeks Later - The perfectly evolved plague thriller with a virtual no-name cast that scared the Hades out of me. The opening sequence is brilliance perfected.
  6. Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix - It may have ranked higher if I'd seen it more than once. I was lucky to see it at all. Regardless, Potter and friends are maturing perfectly. Thank you for ripping my heart out with Sirius' death. It was indeed magical.
  7. Hot Fuzz - This action-packed send-up from Shaun of the Dead genius Simon Pegg balanced action, comedy and drama. Quite well. I even got my own Japanese Peace Lily.
  8. Blades of Glory - I didn't say this was the list of most perfect films- just ones I enjoyed. Will Ferrell and mouth-breather John Heder are too funny.
  9. 300 - It's not a history lesson. Actually, it's an adaptation of a comic book and the best use of HD-TV.
  10. Atonement - You can read my review in a previous post. Visually beautiful drama with an unusual payoff.
Honorably Mentionables:
  1. Breaking & Entering - An overlooked drama starring Jude Law and Juliette Binoche that examines relationships and religion.
  2. Hannibal Rising - The origin story behind Hannibal Lecter stars one Gaspard Ulliel who channels the evil created by Sir Anthony Hopkins. Wicked, beautiful and demented.
  3. Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium - Dustin Hoffman makes this film worth it. Kinda like Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, only not.
Surprises: Wow, that was nice.
  1. The Nanny Diaries - I loathed the book so much, I never finished it. Scarlett Johannson, Laura Linney, and Paul Giamatti brought the pages {I read} to life with spite.
  2. Zodiac - It wasn't so much about the serial killer walking the streets of San Francisco, but the paranoia that the killer created. Jake Gyllenhaal and Mark Ruffalo are solid.
  3. The Invisible - Teen drama that doesn't play like one. It's actually smart.
Ho-Hums: Oh, what could have been.
  1. Transformers - Note to Michael Bay: You obviously have explosions and car chases down pat. You even cast the perfect hot girls. But please, if you're going to take something so sacred as this, could you try harder?! Perfect explosions are nothing if I'm laughing at Optimus Prime.
  2. Spiderman 3 - This movie didn't go anywhere and still managed to rake in the dollars. What's up with that?! Instead of treading deeper into the life of Peter Parker, Spidey and his enemies, it wallows/celebrates nerd-dom.
  3. I Am Legend - Will Smith and a post-apocalyptic film. It should have worked and it did, but only mildly. Human sized Gollums aren't scary. Cunning, human-sized Gollums are.
Duds: So bad, I beg you... PLEASE don't watch them.
  1. Year of the Dog
  2. Shrek the Third
  3. Georgia Rule
Here's hoping you'll take the time to escape and enjoy!

No comments: