Saturday, December 29, 2007

For a blog about films, my first post will be about a book.

Although slightly dated at this junction {copyright 2004} Inverne's Stage & Screen Trivia is quite a jewel. I couldn't put down this useless book of trivia. I say useless because trivia is under appreciated. Most people look at you as if you've come down with the plague when you share, "Christopher Walken and Sissy Spacek were almost cast in Star Wars" in the course of a conversation. I imagine their inner monologue goes something like this: "Why would anyone know that? More importantly, why do I care? God, they're weird."

Inverne's State & Screen Trivia is good for those types of things. If you've every thought, "Only I'd notice something like that" this book is for you. Case in point: It always bothered me that in The Shawshank Redemption Andy {Tim Robbins} wears a suit that belongs to the warden {Bob Gunton}. Does anyone notice Andy is much taller and lankier than the stout and aged Warden Norton? The clothes fit well.

From Batman villains to pop stars screen flops, Inverne's Stage & Screen Trivia touches on a wee bit of it all. You can even find the lyrics to Monty Python's The Life of Brian's infamous song, "Always Look On The Bright Side Of Life".

No comments: