Monday, August 11, 2014

Book Twenty-Eight: Haunting Mr. Darcy

Mr. Darcy has been determined to rid himself of Elizabeth Bennett since meeting her in Hertfordshire.  When an overturned carriage on New Year's Eve results in her spirit being inexplicably tethered to him, Fitzwilliam believes the specter is surely proof of his madness.

This little Kindle gem of fan fiction from author KaraLynne Mackrory brings new meaning to a 'spirited courtship.'  As the two learn of how their pride and prejudice has torn them asunder, Darcy and Elizabeth must work together to master fickle fate.  The author strikes a beautiful chord with characters without feeling contrived.  Despite the cheesy premise--I mean, do we really need Lizzy to be a poltergeist?!--Mackrory manages to weave a story that is Regency romance without modern day smut.

This book bewitched me.  So often, you don't find fan fiction that is worthy of praise.  Mackrory stayed true to her source material and the myriad of characters.  I was pleasantly surprised how she relies on Georgianna and Colonel Fitzwilliam to advance the story.  Her treatment of Mr. Bennett was exceptional.  He's always been a character I wanted more from.  His tender but honest dialogue with Jane is exactly what I'd expect from the patriarch.  Speaking of dialogue, I take umbrage with the author's use of 'Seriously?'  Seriously?!  The megrims fell upon me when Col. Fitzwilliam used this one word reply.  It was just SO out of place in the dialogue, it was disgusting.

As I see it, Haunting Mr. Darcy is a beautiful vagary for fans of Austen.  The author recognizes her readers intelligence and honors it.  Don't let my one grievance prevent you from picking up this delightful read.

No comments: