Saturday, June 21, 2014

52 Books in 52 Weeks Update

After several false starts, I find myself behind on the 52 Week Challenge.  Putting a book down is not my strong point; but as so many dear readers remind me, life is too short to read a bad book.

I dislike calling books 'bad'.  What do you call those books that cause you to labor in vain?  Whose existence on your nightstand mocks your every glance?  The book somehow knows your compulsion to pick up another tome will not stand for the casting away of another.  Yes; these are my internal struggles dear reader.

The books which hang over my head so glaringly as we reach the midway of the year include:

  • Dear Jane Austen: A Heroine's Guide to Life and Love by Patrice Hannon.  I'm certain the author is brilliant professor and historian; but for heaven's sake.  Jane doth babble on here in her advice column.  Insufferable!
  • Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein  As the risk of upsetting nearly every Good Reads reader, I will take the unpopular road.  The book, received as part of World Book Night, sounded intriguing  Alas, I was mistaken.  Unable to connect to Verity or the author's long-winded narrative, I decided to stop caring before I wished the grisly execution to come.   Will I ever know what happens to Verity and the brazen pilot, Maddie?!  Not until SparkNotes hooks me up.  
  • Sue Ellen's Girl Ain't Fat, She Just Weighs Heavy: The Belle of All Things Southern Dishes on Men, Money, and Not Losing Your Midlife Mind by Shellie Rushing Tomlinson  LAWD, help us!  This pseudo-southern BS makes my chick-lit blood boil.  Not nearly as authentic as Fannie Flagg or as sweet at Ann B. Ross' Miss Julia, ... Bless her little heart!
So... that's how I got behind...desperately trying to love the lauded.

No comments: