Sunday, May 4, 2014

Book Nineteen: Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

Book three of Potter's adventures remains my favorite of the series.  This is the book that sees the most growth for Harry as he jumps from child to teen.  His world expands outside of the Dursley's and Hogwarts.  His adventures take on a solemnity here that continues throughout the remainder of the books.

It's been interesting to see this book through the eyes of my niece.  I was surprised that the dementors or the idea of Azakaban didn't create more of a reaction.  I think they would have for me at nine years old.  Serious conversations centered around the Whomping Willow, Peter Pettigrew, Professor Snape or whether Professor Lupin really should have resigned his position are unending.  We both agree that the Maurader's Map would be seriously helpful for a Muggle and we continue to wonder what house we might be sorted to.

As I see it, books are meant to be shared.  Sharing Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban with my sweet niece further adds to my love and nostalgia for the series.  Seeing her carry that dog-eared paperback warms the soul in more ways than one.

No comments: