Sunday, April 6, 2014

Book Fifteen: Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets

I hate Dobby.  The cursed little house-elf plays on my nerves much like Rita Skeeter does on Hermione's.  Alas, the second in J.K. Rowling's now classic series has too much of Dobby.  As I re-read this books alongside my nine-year-old niece, it's fun to pepper our conversations with questions.  Her insights are familiar.  And while her little sister can't quite get out of Diagon Alley, Sweet Mia is clearly enjoying the magic world of Hogwarts.

Rowling continues to build a world of intriguing places and unique characters.  I had forgotten about Nearly Headless Nick's dead day party.  Her descriptions of 'maggoty haggis' and silver platters of cakes, burned charcoal-black turn the dear reader's stomach as much as Harry's.  The Chamber of Secrets seems heavy in annoying characters now that I think of it.  Between Colin Creevy, Gilderoy Lockhart and Dobby, the reader sees no peace and quickly sympathizes with Harry. 

As I see it, Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets to be the weakest of the seven book series.  It serves solely as the vehicle for advancing the youth of our brave trio in preparation for the adult adventures to come.

No comments: