Sunday, March 9, 2014

Book Eleven: Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone

There is something special about sharing a book that you've loved with someone you love.  It's even more special when that someone is a child.  My sweet niece has discovered Harry Potter and at her insistence, we are reading them together.  We have formed a book club, of sorts, were we examine the finer points of the book.

It's been years (8-10) since I last read this book.  Reading it again with my sweet niece, I am rediscovering the joy that is Rowling's world.  Seeing it through her eyes is just as fun.  Rowling's ability to create characters and then weave adventures for all of them throughout the book. Rereading this time, it struck me that the Weasley twins throw snowballs at Voldemort.

As I see it, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone stands on its own merit a decade later.  With its fantastical places rooted in realism, you couldn't ask for a better place for these unique characters to explore.   For my sweet niece, it's book like these that make life-long readers.

No comments: