Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Book Seven: We'll Always Have Paris

Ray Bradbury is a curious author.  Fahrenheit 451 is, by far, one of my favorite books.  Bradbury's The Martian Chronicles is another favorite.  Strangely enough Dandelion Wine and Something Wicked This Way Comes are not.  Thus, when I picked up this collection of short stories by the famed author, I knew I was in a for a crap shoot.

We'll Always Have Paris is quintessentially Bradbury.  From the quirky 'Ma Perkins Comes to Stay' to the odd 'Pater Canius', Bradbury is always thought-provoking even when not strictly enjoyable.  His ability to approach themes in an unorthodox manner is what keeps me coming back, even when it makes me uncomfortable.  Nostalgia should be comfortable; but not in Bradbury's world.  You'll find plenty of that here.  In 'Un-pillow Talk', two friends attempt to reverse a night passion to prevent the destruction of their friendship.  In 'The Murder', two men shake on a bet that one can make the other a murder.  In typical Bradbury fashion, he observes human nature and exposes its flaws leaving the reader aghast at its ugliness.

As I see it, We'll Always Have Paris is a great introduction to the Bradbury canon.  I'm glad to have read it; but am more glad to have finished it.

1 comment:

Robin M said...

Thanks for the great review. I'll have to check it out. Love Ray Bradbury.