Thursday, January 15, 2009

I'm Not There (2007)

In this movie's defense, I can't be the target demographic. At best, I am a casual fan of Bob Dylan and fascination is the key to enjoying Todd Haynes' I'm Not There. Cate Blanchett, Ben Whishaw, Christan Bale, Heath Ledger, Richard Gere, and Marcus Carl Franklin play various stages and personas of Bob Dylan's life.

I'm Not There lacks a coherent story, but, much like the man, it's still fascinating. Bob Dylan's rise from peer-proclaimed folk/protest singer to ICON is a remarkable story of reinvention and relevancy.

The film is highly conceptual as the six actors playing Dyan play him as periods of time in his life as Poet (Franklin), Star (Blanchett), Actor (Ledger), Prophet (Bale), Outlaw (Gere), and Protester (Whinshaw). Some story lines are harder to follow than others and I couldn't help think that a true fan of Dylan would get more out of this. The symbolism, if any, was lost on me. I did pick up certain places, events, and people of the time like Allen Ginsberg or Edie Segwick, but still I couldn't shake the feeling that I wasn't prepared or knowledgeable enough to truly appreciate this movie.

Cate Blanchett and Christian Bale are incredible to watch. Blanchett is Dylan at his most recognizable. She is amazing and is easily the film's highlight. Bale is equally fascinating and Ben Whishaw's Dylan is charming. Although I didn't quite comprehend what stage of Dylan he was, his monologue is remarkable.

I'm Not There is beautifully rendered. Each period has a specific aesthetic and alongside the Dylan score, it's beautiful. Still, as I see it, I'm Not There is to Dylan as Across the Universe is to The Beatles. For what it is, a 2+ hour, conceptual bio of Bob Dylan, it's cool man. Cool.

No comments: